Technical reconstruction of railway transport, the efficient use of new powerful locomotives, and accelerating the movement of trains to a large extent depend on the quality of rails. Modern rails operate under hardship conditions. The static load on the axle or heavy locomotive car reaches 27 m. The rail quality is crucial not only for ensuring the rates of freight train traffic on certain high traffic density, high speed and traffic safety, but also for the extension of their service life on the road.
During the cooperative work, the experts of Evraz ZSMK (United West Siberian Metallurgical Combine) and Irkutsk State Transport University conducted a testing of the composition of steel, wear-resistant rails manufacturing technology for the RF Ministry of Railways Railway road and industrial tests in arduous sections of the track. To improve the quality of the rails, it is necessary to improve the wear resistance, the chemical composition and purity of the rail metal. It is also necessary to improve the heating technology for billets and the rolling, as well as the calibrating of rolls, heat treatment, etc. For R65 rails in curved sections of the track, especially with curves of a small radius (R <450 m), the guaranteed number of the transported cargo is not more than 150 million tons. The nature of the defects results in the deflection of rails from the track at different straight and curved portions of small radius. The main defects in the areas of small radius curves are crushing and abrasion of rails. This problem is solved by the production of hypereutectoid steel rails and bainitic steel rails.
This article provides an analysis of the workout of the composition and the production technology parameters for rails made of the hypereutectoid steel, and also the results of tests on the experimental batches of rails.
1. Akimov V.A., Alekseenko V.A. et al. Bezopasnost' Rossii. Bezopasnost' zheleznodorozhnogo transporta v usloviyakh Sibiri i Severa [Security of Russia. Safety of railway transport in the conditions of Siberia and the North]. Moscow: Znanie Publ., 2014, 856 p.
2. Demen't'ev V.P., Korneva L.V. et al. Zheleznodorozhnye rel'sy dlya Sibiri [Railway rails for Siberia]. Irkutsk: ISTU Publ., 2010, 320 p.
3. Chernyak S.S. Zheleznodorozhnyi put' Vostochnoi Sibiri [The railway of Eastern Siberia]. Irkutsk: ISTU Publ., 2003, 424 p.
4. Kozyrev N.A., Dement'ev V.P. Proizvodstvo zheleznodorozhnykh rel'sov iz elektrostali [Production of railway rails from electric steel]. Novokuznetsk, 2000, 123 p.
5. Godik L.A. et al. Proizvodstvo rel'sov iz elektrostali [Production of rails from electric steel]. Elektrometallurgiya [Electrical Metallurgy], 2000, No. 7, pp. 47.
6. Mogil'nyi V.V. et al. Kachestvo zheleznodorozhnykh rel'sov iz nepreryvnolitoi stali, vyplavlennoi v elektropechi [Quality of railway rails from continuous steel smelted in electric furnaces]. Stal' [Steel], 1997, No. 8, pp. 53–55.
7. Kozyrev N.A., Yakovlev P.Yu., Kozyreva O.A. Prognozirovanie tverdosti i mekhanicheskikh svoistv rel'sovoi stali E76V [Prediction of Hardness and Mechanical Properties of E76B Rail Steel]. Izv. vuzov. Chernaya Metallurgiya [Izvestiya - Ferrous Metallurgy], 1999, No. 8, pp. 37–39.
8. Korneva L.E., Chernyak S. S. et al. Rel'sovaya stal' [Rail steel]. Patent RF 2291218, MPK S22S 38/24. Patent applicant and holder is Irkutsk State Transport University. No. 2005117855/02; applied Jun 09 2005, publ. Jan. 10 2007, Bull. No.1, 8 p.
9. Vorozhishchev V.I., Chernyak S.S. et al. Stal' [Steel]. Patent RF 2224044, MPK7 S22 S38/46. Patent applicant and holder is Irkutsk State Transport University. No. ; applied Jan 25, 2002, publ. Feb 20, 2004, Bull. No.5, 6 p.
10. Khomenko A.P., S.S. Chernyak, Broido V.L. Razrabotka tekhnologii elektropechnoi vyplavki legirovannoi vanadiem rel'sovoi stali i kachestvo rel'sov [Development of technology for electric furnace melting of vanadium-alloyed rail steel and the quality of rails]. Izv. Transsiba [Journal of Transsib Railway Studies], 2016, No. 3 (27), pp. 66–76.