Ulan-Baatar Railway has three railway border crossings. There are two border crossings with the Russian Federation: Solov'evsk – Ereentsav and Naushki – Sukhbaatar. With China, there is one border crossing Zamyn-Uud ‑ Erlian. The length of the main railway route is 1110 km, the total length is 1815 km. The transportation corridor passing through Mongolia is the shortest, both in length and in time of delivery. Today, the carrying capacity of the Ulan-Baatar railway is 25 million tons per year, and the capacity is 14 pairs of trains per day. The growth of oil and traffic oil products transportation volumes in 2017 amounted to 127 % compared to 2016. In 2017, crude oil exports to China decreased by 6 % (3.1 thousand tons), while imports of petroleum products from China decreased by 35 % (21.5 thousand tons). But the volume of transit and import traffic from Russia increased by 27 % (129.6 thousand tons) and 21 % (174,5 thousand tons), respectively. According to the conducted marketing railway research, it is planned to increase the volume of traffic in 2018 to 24 million tons and up to 32 million tons per year by 2020. In 2020, it is planned to increase the carrying capacity to 34 million tons per year and the traffic capacity to 21 pairs of trains.
1. Zhurnal «Zheleznodorozhnyi transport Mongolii» [The magazine "Railway Transport of Mongolia"], 2017, 54 p.
2. Raschet propusknoi sposobnosti UBZhD za 2017 god [Calculation of the capacity of the UBR for the year 2017].
3. Gazeta «Ganzam» [The “Ganzam” newspaper].
4. Programma razvitiya UBZhD razrabotannaya Institutom Ekonomiki i Razvitiya Transporta [The development program of the UBR developed by the Institute of Transport Economics and Development].
5. Protokol soveshchaniya pogranichnoi komissii Mongolo-Kitaiskoi komissii [Minutes of the meeting of the border commission of the Mongolian-Chinese Commission], 2017, 108 p.
6. Statisticheskii analiz pokazatelei UBZhD za 2017 god [Statistical analysis of the indicators of the UBR for 2017].
7. Statisticheskii analiz pokazatelei UBZhD za 2016 god [Statistical analysis of the indicators of the UBR for 2016].
8. Kochnev F.P., Akulinichev V.M., Makarochkin A.M. Organizatsiya dvizheniya na zheleznodorozhnykh stantsiyakh [Organization of traffic at railway stations]. Moscow: Transport Publ., 1979, 568 p.
9. Kovalev V.I., Os'minin A.T. (ed.). Upravlenie ekspluatatsionnoi rabotoi na zheleznodorozhnom transporte [Management of operational work in railway transport]. Moscow: «UMTs zh.d.t.» Publ., 2009.
10. Kovalev V.I. Upravlenie ekspluatatsionnoi rabotoi na zheleznodorozhnom transporte : ucheb. dlya studentov, obuchayushchikhsya po spetsial'nosti "Ekspluatatsiya zheleznykh dorog" VO : v 2 t. T. 1 : Tekhnologiya raboty stantsii. [Management of operational work in railway transport: training. for students studying in the specialty "Operation of railways" HE: in 2 volumes. Vol. 1: Technology work stations]. Moscow: UMTs Publ., 2015.
11. Kudryavtsev V.A., Ugryumov A.K., Romanov A.P. et al. Tekhnologiya ekspluatatsionnoi raboty na zheleznykh dorogakh [Technology of operational work in railways]. Moscow: Transport Publ., 1994.
12. Gruntov P.S., D'yakov Yu.V., Makarochkin A.M. et al. Upravlenie ekspluatatsionnoi rabotoi i kachestvom perevozok na zheleznodorozhnom transporte [Management of operational work and quality of transportation in railway transport]. In P.S. Gruntov (ed.). Moscow: Transport Publ., 1994, 543 p.
13. Kovalev V.I., Os'minin A.T. (eds.). Upravlenie ekspluatatsionnoi rabotoi na zheleznodorozhnom transporte [Management of operational work in railway transport]. Moscow: «UMTs zh.d.t.» Publ., 2009.
14. Apattsev V.I. et al. ZhDSU: uchebnik [Railway stations and junctions: a textbook]. Moscow: UMTs po obrazovaniyu na zh.d. transp. Publ., 2014, 854 p.
15. Shubko V.G., Pravdin N.V. (eds.). ZhDSU: uchebnik dlya vuzov zh.d. transporta [Railway stations and junctions: a textbook for railway transport higher educational instutitions]. Moscow; UMK MPS Rossii Publ., 2002.
16. Akulinichev V.M. (ed.). ZhDSU; uchebnik dlya vuzov zh. d. transporta [Railway stations and junctions: a textbook for railway transport higher educational instutitions]. Moscow: Transport Publ., 1992.
17. Pravdin N.V., Shubko V.G. (eds.). ZhDSU (zadachi, primery, raschety): ucheb. posobie dlya vuzov zh.d. transporta [Railway stations and junctions (tasks, examples, calculations): Reference book for railway transport higher educational instutitions]. Moscow, 2005.
18. Pravdin N.V., Vakulenko S.P. (eds.). Proektirovanie infrastruktury zh.d. transporta (stantsii, zh.d. i transportnye uzly) [Design of the infrastructure of railway transport (stations, railway and transport junctions)]. Moscow, 2012.
19. Velichko V.I., Sotnikov E.A., Golubev B.L. Sistema firmennogo transportnogo obsluzhivaniya (SFTO) pri perevozke gruzov po zheleznym dorogam Rossii [The system of proprietary transport services (SPTS) for the transportation of goods by railways in Russia]. Moscow: Intekst Publ., 2001.
20. Gapanovich V.A., Grachev A.A. et al. Sistemy avtomatizatsii i informatsionnye tekhnologii upravleniya perevozkami na zheleznykh dorogakh: Uchebnik dlya vuzov zh.d. transporta [Automation systems and information technologies for rail traffic management: A textbook for high schools. of transport]. In V.I. Kovalev, A.T. Os'minin (ed.). Moscow: Marshrut Publ., 2006, 544 p.